Sunday, May 15, 2011

Carpe Diem

This morning I watched on National Geographic what would happen to our world if we ran out of oil.

Then right after that the National Geographic channel ran a program on what would happen to our world if our population doubled in size.

A few nights before that I watched a program on the Apocalypse that we should expect when December 21st, 2012 comes.

All three programs showed the end of the world as we know it.  Horrifying disasters were shown through very graphic depictions of our cities like Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, and Chicago that were crumbling after each new disaster hit the world.

Why are we doing this to ourselves?!

Half of my family and co-workers are already paranoid as it is about 2012, why is media adding more?!

This morning when another one of my co-workers brought up the 2012, I couldn’t help it anymore and yelled, ‘That’s it, people!  I’ve had it with this crap!”

I got up on the top of my desk and began speaking to the crowd of my startled co-workers almost as if I was a revolutionary persuading everyone to join a strike.

“Listen to me!” I said, “Everything is what you make it.”  End of the world or not, tomorrow you can get hit by a bus and none of this would matter.  Your children are neglected because of your long hours at work, your spouses are sick and tired of hearing what a stressful craft you got, so who cares about the end of the World!  Live now!”

They all looked at me puzzled and within only a few seconds they went back to their conversations, including 2012.

I jumped off my desk and set down disappointed on my chair.

After a few minutes our cleaning lady, Maricela, who speaks about 5 words of English and taught me all of the Spanish words I know, came up to my desk to empty my trash can.

When she was done, she winked at me and whispered, “Carpe Diem…”


No comments:

Post a Comment