Sunday, May 15, 2011

How Can This Be?!

I just saw online today, that every single year, thousands and thousands of women, children and believe or not, men, fall into the hands of traffickers, in their own countries and abroad and are never seen or heard from again by their families and loved ones.

How can this be?  How can human beings be sold and traded in the 21st century, in the century of iPods and iPads and 3D TVs?  I don't understand.

I am reaching out to all of you tonight, please educate yourself about this horror. 

Victims are chosen from poor neighborhoods or broken homes and broken families. 

I am in shock.  I have heard of this before, this so called "Modern Day Slavery," but did you know that not millions, but billions of dollars are being made every year at the expense of people who are being basically kidnapped and trafficked around the world.  Young kids, who should be at school or playing outside with their friends are used for hard labor and sold for sex.  Young women and girls forced into prostitution or marriage or used for domestic labor, 7 days a week, at least 15 hours a day with no pay.  And aslo men, they are broken down by poverty and left to die on plantations and factories and sweat shops.

Do not be fooled, my fellow bloggers, by the fact that you may not know anyone personally affected by this crime, or see it on the local news or read about it in our local newspapers, EVERY country in the world, without exception, is affected by human trafficking.  In the U.S., human trafficking has been reported in all 50 states, including Washington D.C., and some U.S. territories.

One Russian writer, by the name Fyedor Dostoyevskiy, once said, "People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of men, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be as cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel."

I just want to cry...


No comments:

Post a Comment