Sunday, May 15, 2011

Target on My Back

I work for a huge corporation.

So huge, it uses the word “Worldwide” and “International” in its many names.

On the outside it is all smiles and happy workers.

We volunteer to save the poor and we also are “green”, just a one happy bunch.


Sadly, when you look inside, it is like a broken mirror.  It is almost surreal how much is hidden behind the closed doors.

Racism, homophobia, nothing but a good ol’ boys club, sexual harassment, bullying, you name it’s all here.

It is covered up so artfully by the higher-up’s, that as a new-hire you would never guess that once you enter their world, you would be hit with all of the bigotry and prejudice that has ever existed at once.

It makes me wonder if all of the corporations are like that.

Every day I wake up, get dressed for work, and wonder what it is that I will be faced with today.

Finally one morning I got my way in.  “They” were sitting around and gossiping about two of our co-workers who are a biracial couple. 

When I walked in, they didn’t get quite, they kept on talking, inviting me to join them.

I gave them a long and silent stare.

This could be the end of my own awkwardness here.  No harm, just a little bit of gossiping.

“No!” my mind screamed.

I looked at them again and said, “You should be ashamed of yourselves.”

They froze in silence.

I turned around and walked away, feeling a huge target growing on my back with every step I took.

And it felt damn good!

No comments:

Post a Comment